I love all the wonderful things about Fall, especially apples and PUMPKINS! Love all the delicious pumpkin recipes out there so decided to try making a pumpkin yeast bread along the lines of oatmeal bread. Let’s just say it was a delicious experiment!! Because this is based on the “no knead” concept, it’s pretty easy to make.
Start by mixing all of the ingredients in a large container with a cover. I use this plastic container that I previously stored sugar in, but anything will work. A stock pot or bowl with plastic wrap – really anything will work as long as it is large enough so the dough will have some room to rise. Mix this all well and put in the refrigerator overnight.
The next day, pull out the dough from the fridge. Sprinkle with some flour.
Divide the dough into 2 somewhat equal parts and form into loaves. Stretch across the top and tuck underneath. Place on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little flour. You could also sprinkle with oatmeal or pumpkin seeds too. Make 3-4 slices in the dough with a sharp knife about 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep. If the knife sticks in the dough, then run it through some flour before each slice.
Let this sit on the counter for 30 minutes. You can see the slices open up as the dough is expanding.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven. When the oven is up to temperature, place the bread in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Cool before slicing. Enjoy!!
- 1½ cups water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup honey
- 2 cups old fashioned oats (uncooked)
- 1 Tbsp. yeast
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 can pure pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds
- Mix all ingredients in a container with a lid.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, sprinkle flour over the dough.
- Divide into 2 sections and form each into a loaf by stretching the top and tucking under the bottom.
- Place each loaf on a well greased cookie sheet.
- Make 3-4 slices across the top about ½-3/4 inch deep.
- Let set on the counter for 30 minutes.
- Place a pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven and heat to 450 degrees.
- When the oven is up to temperature, place the loaves in the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.