Pizza Dip is a great appetizer, snack, or even a meal. Just like a pizza, pick your favorite toppings and choose your favorite dippers. We topped our pizza dip with sausage and mushrooms (my favorites) and used toasted bread slices as dippers. If you want to keep the carbs low, use sliced bell peppers for dippers instead. Yummy both ways! The best part of this dip is that it’s fast and easy to put together.
Putting Together the Pizza Dip
I made this Pizza Dip in a cast iron fry pan, but any oven proof container will work – a pie plate or cake pan comes to mind as alternatives. Start by pouring a jar of your favorite tomato sauce (we like to use Bertolli tomato basil flavor) into the pan.
Sprinkle one 8 oz. package of shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese on top of the sauce.
Sprinkle generously with dried oregano.
Top with your favorite pizza toppings. We used 1/2 pound of sausage, browned in a fry pan. And then in the same fry pan, I sauteed some mushrooms for the other half. Any of the typical pizza toppings will work or leave as is for a plain cheese version.
I sprinkled a little fresh basil on top – my basil plant is growing like crazy so I’ve been using it every chance I get!
Bake and Serve
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Place the sliced bread on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven on the broil setting. Watch closely so they don’t burn – it takes only a minute or so.
Flip the bread and toast the other side.
I keep sliced bread in the freezer so popped them in the oven frozen and they came out great. Slice the bread into strips, about 3-4 pieces per slice.
These made great Pizza Dip dippers. A baguette would work well too, toasted or fresh, sliced. I particularly loved the Pizza Dip with the Mediterranean bread slices – lots of flavor!
- 1 jar of tomato sauce (we like Bertolli tomato basil)
- 1 8 oz. package of shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
- ½ pound cooked sausage (or other favorite pizza topping)
- 8 oz. package of sliced mushrooms (or other favorite pizza topping)
- sprinkling of oregano
- fresh basil (optional)
- Pour tomato sauce into a baking pan or cast iron pan.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle oregano on top of cheese.
- Top with sausage and mushrooms (or other toppings).
- Sprinkle with fresh basil if available.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until hot and bubbly..
- Serve with toasts, baguette slices, or fresh vegetables.