This Roasted Carrot Soup is so creamy and delicious, the kids will forget they’re eating vegetables! Organic carrots were on sale for a great price, so I stocked up. Then, we had so many carrots I wasn’t sure what to do with them. I love the taste of ginger with carrots and coconut milk makes everything delicious, so this soup came together pretty easily. This recipe makes quite a bit of soup and the leftovers are great too. The roasted carrot soup can also be frozen (freeze in individual size portions for fast lunches).
Start out by chopping about 3 pounds of carrots. Sprinkle the carrots with a little olive oil and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pop them into a cold oven and turn the heat to 425 degrees. In about 30 minutes they’ll be ready to incorporate into the soup.
While the carrots are cooking, heat a large stock pot and add a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Chop 1 large onion and a clove of garlic – add these to the stock pot and saute until cooked through.
Add about 1 Tablespoon of fresh grated ginger.
Fresh ginger has so much flavor and it easy to use. I buy a small root and it lasts in the fridge for several weeks. I just grate off what I need and pop it back in the fridge.
Next, stir in 4 cups of your favorite broth. We use a homemade broth that we keep in the freezer all the time. Heat the broth and keep on low until the carrots are done.
The carrots are done when they are nice and soft, about 30 minutes.
Add the carrots to the broth.
Use your stick blender or batches in a regular blender to blend this smooth. Add a little more broth if it’s too thick to blend.
To make this soup extra rich and creamy, stir in one can of unsweetened coconut milk.
Heat through and serve.
This Roasted Carrot Soup is delicious as is and you can also add toppings if you’d like. A sprinkle of cilantro and/or scallions is nice. If you’ve got meat-eaters in the family who like a little heartier soup, it would be easy to add some cooked chicken, sausage, or bacon to this soup. I love the flavor combinations of the sweet carrots, spicy ginger, and creamy coconut!
- 3 pounds carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 cups broth (or more if you like it thinner)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 1 can unsweetened, first pressing coconut milk
- olive oil (2-3 Tbsp)
- salt and pepper
- Place chopped carrots on a greased cookie sheet and drizzle with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place in a cold oven and turn the heat to 425 degrees. Bake for about 30 minutes.
- While the carrots are roasting, heat a stock pot.
- Place a couple Tbsp. of olive oil in the pot and saute the garlic and onion.
- Add the ginger and stock. Heat through.
- Add the carrots and puree using a stick blender or blend in batches in a regular blender.
- Stir in the coconut milk. Heat through.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.